As an interior designer I realize how little most homeowners know about how to select a sofa that best fits them. Here are my top 5 secrets to selecting a perfect custom sofa for your home!
- Determine the style and size of sofa needed for your space. If you have tall ceilings and supersized furnishings, you will need a sofa that’s in proportion to the room’s design.
2. Make sure you select the right cushioning for your sofa style and your personal preference whether it’s foam and down, all down, allergy free, or a combination of materials on the seat and back of your sofa.
3. Ensure the sofa fits your body type and height so your feet aren’t dangling above the floor or you aren’t unable to lean back comfortably in the seat.
4. Select the correct material for your sofa. If you will be using the sofa constantly then you will need a higher double rub count for durability and if you have dogs or cats, try to avoid a fabric that can be snagged easily. Also keep in mind how easily the fabric will clean and if it will go will with your room’s design and other fabrics.
5. Color – As an interior designer, I prefer a solid color or tone on tone sofa because it’s usually one of the biggest items in your room and can seem overpowering if you select a busy pattern or even a color that’s too bold.
For more great ideas on selecting furnishings and design sign up for our weekly interior design blog here
Plus become a fan of Kansas City’s interior designer and former host of Living Large design show, Karen Mills, on Facebook here!