5 Secrets for Creating a Cozy Inviting Living Space Using Existing Furnishings
- Make it Functional – The first question I ask interior design clients who want us to space plan their living room is how they will use the room and what they need. For example if they entertain regularly how much seating do they need or if they take a nap how long does the sofa need to be. In this great room a coffee table and sofa table provide surfaces to place things while a nearby end table holds a much needed lamp.
2. Determine Your Focal Point – In this outdoor living room the focal point is obvious because we put it front and center but if you don’t have a fireplace a great outdoor view or a furniture vignette created to be a focal point can work also such as a table, artwork, and lamp arrangement. Click here for 3 Ways to Make Your Living Space Bloom for Spring
3. Place your sofa or largest upholstery (seating) facing your focal point. Here in this great room the sofa faces the fireplace, the focal point of the room while the other chairs sit nearby adding the to cozy appeal. Click here for 3 Tips for Refreshing Your Living Room for Less
4. Make furniture arrangement inviting and cozy but not too crowded. In this living room the sofa is facing a focal point, the view out the window. A round ottoman helps create a more spacious feel in this cozy room. Click here for How to Mix Up Furnishings in Your Home to Create a Fresh New Look
5. Layer in tables and a rug. Tables are critical in your room for lamps and to place drinks or other items. In this hearth living space we designed a comfortable rug was layered underneath bringing all the furniture into a cozy grouping.
If you would like to re decorate you living spaces right now check out our interior design and decorating options that we have whether its for remodel/new home builds, a design dilemma, or just decorating.
If you’re looking for interior design, decorating, or remodeling inspiration, ideas, and photos, sign up for our weekly interior design blog here